Monday, April 15, 2013

N is for Nerds

Movie nerds, that is.  If we were talking real-life nerds, I'd spend most of this post talking about Hubs.  (He's a major Star Wars/Star Trek nerd.  For reals.)  I adore films that have an endearing, can't-help-but-love-'em nerd (or group of nerds).  They give you somebody to rally behind and root for, or someone to laugh at, or someone to relate to, depending on who you are.  Personally, I believe we all have a little bit of nerd in us. Today I'm tipping my hat to my 20 most favorite film nerds, in no particular order:


Ned Gold (17 Again)
Played by the talented but fairly unheard of Thomas Lennon.  
He played Star Wars/Lord of the Rings obsessed  like nobody's business.  
Favorite Quote: "Are you now or have you ever been a Norse god, vampire or time-traveling cyborg?"


Ronald Miller (Can't Buy Me Love)
Patrick Dempsey before he was McDreamy.
Who doesn't love a geeky guy who convinces the most popular girl in school to pretend she's dating him?
Favorite Quote: "Cools, Nerds, your side, my side, man it's all bull. It's hard enough just trying to be yourself."


Lambda Lambda Lambda (Revenge of the Nerds)
Robert Carradine, Anthony Edwards, Timothy Busfield, Curtis Armstrong and other brilliantly-cast guys playing the ultimate nerd collection.
Their act at the talent show is nerd-tastic.  I love it!
Favorite Quote: "Just join us, 'cause, uh, no one's gonna really be free until nerd persecution ends."


Ichabod Crane (Sleepy Hollow)
The genius, ridiculously talented Johnny Depp.
I love him, even when he plays weirdos (or probably more so when he plays weirdos)
Favorite Quote: "Kill it! No, no! Stun it!"


Josie Geller (Never Been Kissed)
Delightfully awkward Drew Barrymore.
You just feel SO bad for her that you can't help but be thrilled when she gets the (super hot) guy.
Favorite Quote: "Yes, you are a guy. Quite a guy. Oh my. Hey, that rhymes! Yikes. Bikes!"


Jim Levenstein (American Pie)
Nobody does humiliation like Jason Biggs.
This poor guy's life was nothing but a collection of really, really awkward moments. 
Favorite Quote: "I kind of super-glued myself to... uh... myself."


Hermoine Granger (Harry Potter)
Insufferable know-it-all, Emma Watson.
She was precious, even if she started out as super obnoxious.
Favorite Quote: " Just because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon..."


Anthony Michael Hall (Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Sweet Sixteen)
I didn't pick just one of his characters because this guy was the epitome of nerd in the 80s.
Also, he basically played the same character in all three films. 
Favorite Quote: "Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club."

Randy Meeks (Scream 1 & 2)
Jamie Kennedy
Ultimate movie nerd.  This guy knew his horror films - and their rules.  Randy is the guy I would have been best friends with in high school, if only so we could quote movies together. 
Favorite Quote: "If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath, would you be standing in the horror section?"


Dr. Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)
Super-talented writer/actor Harold Ramis.
He co-wrote Ghostbusters and other films.  Born to play nerdy. 
My favorite line from Ghostbusters was his: "Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back." 


David Levinson (Independence Day)
The brilliant Jeff Goldblum, saver of Earth.
For years I had a total crush on Jeff for both this role and his character Ian in Jurassic Park.
Favorite Quote: "Forget the fat lady! You're obsessed with fat lady!"


Dr. Frankenstein (Young Frankenstein)
One of Gene Wilder's best roles. 
Crazy, oddball scientist in a Mel Brooks film.  What else do you need? 
Favorite Quote: "Hearts and kidneys are tinker toys!"


Data (The Goonies)
Ke Huy Quan
Data and his gadgets saved the day more than once.
Favorite Quote: "It's a booby trap!"


Doc Emmett Brown (Back to the Future)
The awesome Christopher Lloyd (hello, Uncle Fester?!)
He plays a great goofball scientist.
Favorite Quote: "Well, there are plenty worse places to be than the Old West. I could've ended up in the Dark Ages. They probably would have burned me at the stake as a heretic or something."


Cameron Frye (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
Alan Ruck
Perfectly cast as best pal and sidekick to Matthew Broderick's Ferris. 
Favorite Quote:  "When Cameron was in Egypt's land....let my Cameron go."


Andy Stitzer (40 Year Old Virgin)
The hilarious Steve Carell
Another one of those "oh-my-gosh-he's-so-awkward" characters you just feel SO bad for.
Favorite Quote: "Kelly Clarkson!"


Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones)
Yes, indeedy, Mr. Harrison Ford.
Being a nerd is totally fine when you're also a sexy adventurer with a whip.
Favorite Quote: "Nazis.  I hate these guys."


Benjamin Gates (National Treasure)
Nicholas Cage
I'm 99.9% sure it's the history buff in me, but I totally have a crush on Cage's Ben Gates. 
Favorite Quote: "A toast? Yeah.  To high treason.  That's what these men were committing when they signed the Declaration.  Had we lost the war, they would have been hanged, beheaded, drawn and quartered, and - Oh! Oh, my personal favorite: had their entrails cut out and burned!"


Edward Nygma (Batman Forever)
One of my favorite comedic guys, Jim Carrey.
Nobody plays obsessive nerd-turned-villain like Jim.
Favorite Quote: "Caffeine'll kill ya!" 


Hooper (Jaws)
Richard Dreyfuss
I like a nerd who's not afraid to get his hands dirty and kill a giant, terrifying shark. 
Favorite Quote: "Haha.  They're all gonna die."

No comments:

Post a Comment