Thursday, April 18, 2013

Q is for Quotes

"Hasta la vista, baby."  

I know we've all found an occasion to use this famous quote from the Governator (well, anyone over 20, for sure).  Life is full of opportunities to insert a favorite line from a film, song or brilliant mind.  Some of my most favorite quotes are from our Founding Fathers.  I love the way people spoke in the old days, with passion and fluidity.  

Here are some of my favorite (and probably overused) quotes from various sources, and be forewarned- there's a bunch of 'em!


"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." ~Lily Tomlin

"Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers; and once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it." ~Bill Cosby

"The Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it." ~Steve Martin as Navin (The Jerk)

"Faith is a gift from God, but it's also a responsibility.  It's not enough to have it. You've got to live it out, even when times are tough." ~Drew Brees

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." ~Robert Frost

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." ~Albert Einstein

"It's amazing the clarity that comes with psychotic jealousy." ~Rupert Everett as George (My Best Friend's Wedding)

"Are you crying? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying!" ~Tom Hanks as Jimmy (A League of Their Own)

"I do the very best I know - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end." ~Abraham Lincoln

"I don't condone fascism. Or any -ism, for that matter.  -Isms, in my opinion, are not good." ~Matthew Broderick as Ferris (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

"Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit." ~Bill Cosby

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." ~P.J. O'Rourke

"In case I don't see ya: good afternoon, good evening and good night." ~Jim Carrey as Truman (The Truman Show)

"You're not getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is. Momma didn't raise no fool." ~Larry Miller as Walter (10 Things I Hate About You)

"We must all hang together, or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~Benjamin Franklin

"A hickie from Kenickie's like a Hallmark card." ~Jeff Conway as Kenickie (Grease)

"You can't handle the truth!" ~Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessup (A Few Good Men)

"I'm your Huckleberry." ~Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday (Tombstone)

"I'm telling you the devil gypped me for a hamburger!" ~Brendan Fraser as Elliot (Bedazzled)


"Mama Cass. Ham sandwich." ~Mike Myers as Austin (Austin Powers)

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

"Yo, my brethren. What up with thee?" ~Jim Carrey as Bruce (Bruce Almighty)

"You are too twisted for color TV!" ~Shirley Maclaine as Ouiser (Steel Magnolias)

"Hello, Clarice." ~Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal (Silence of the Lambs)

"You're gonna need a bigger boat." ~Roy Scheider as Martin (Jaws)

"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." ~Ron Livingston as Peter (Office Space)

"Who knows where thoughts come from? They just appear." ~Rory Cochrane as Lucas (Empire Records)

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. You'll get the horns." ~Paul Gleason as Richard (The Breakfast Club)








1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I like some of these :) I guess the 'it goes on one' is pretty true!

    My favourite quotes do come from Ferris Bueler too, ace movie :D

    ReplyDelete