Monday, July 5, 2010

Emily Dickenson's brother: man-whore

A new story emerged today about the famed poet's family dysfunction. Apparently her married lawyer brother Austin had clandestine meetings with the wife of one of his colleagues on Emily's dining room couch. During these alleged trysts, the famous poet supposedly stayed upstairs in her bedroom, lest she get an eyeful.

Austin, a father of three and considered to be a pillar of the community, must have considered his spinster sister's home the perfect location for a little afternoon lovemaking...on a dining room couch. Honestly, you'd think they could find a bed somewhere in a single woman's two-story house. More concerning is this: how could Emily bear to have guests over for tea and have them sit on said couch without worrying her guests would be sitting right smack on top of her brothers pimp juice? Yuck.

What interested me most in this story is according to the research, it's believed that despite years of an affair taking place in her own home, Emily never actually met her brother's lover. How does that happen? I know times are different now, and women basically did as they were told back then, but I'd like to think that if an affair was going on in my house, I'd be sure to acquaint myself with whoever was doing the dirty on my couch. That way I could tell her to satisfy her sexual urges elsewhere, brother be damned.

If you want to check out the story, see the link below.

New Secrets About Emily Dickenson

No comments:

Post a Comment