Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mo Came To Visit

It almost always happens the same way. I'll be hanging out, lazing around, whatever, and I'll get a text message out of the blue. "Guess where I am" is usually the message. Immediately I'm excited because this message means that my Mo, my bestest best friend practically since birth, is coming to visit me.

I drop whatever it is I'm doing, rearrange plans if necessary and make time to see my oldest and dearest of friends. You'd think that my having a guy as a best friend would bother my husband, but surprisingly not. He's nearly completely unjealous, which is sometimes frustrating, but generally good. He's even okay with me running off to go galavanting with Mo without him. So I do.

We can sit in a coffee shop for hours, ride around with no destination, sit on porch steps talking, it doesn't really matter where we go or what we do. It could have been months or even years (which has happened before) since we've seen each other, but it doesn't matter because we pick up right where we left off. Our friendship is one of those timeless relationships. It adapts to whoever we are at the moment.

I noticed on this most recent visit, however, that pieces of me change when I'm with Mo. It's like this former version of myself re-emerges around him. Not an entirely bad thing, but a very strange feeling. My thoughts and actions reflect a different era of my life; I feel like a younger, less responsible, more spontaneous version of me. The Jess who just might say exactly what's on her mind regardless of consequence. The old Jess who would consider doing something completely reckless just because it's fun.

It's frustrating to me because I don't entirely understand why this happens, and only when Mo's around. Maybe my subconscious yearns to cut loose every once in a while, and I am unknowingly just so much more comfortable with Mo that my brain uses his visits as an outlet. Who knows? It's entirely too late and I'm entirely too tired to psychoanalyze myself at the moment. Current version of me does know, though, that I really enjoyed having a visit with Mo, and I hope we get to see each other again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment